• Download Student News Source to view Titan Tribune from your phone!
  • Follow us on Instagram! @southtribune
The Online Student Newspaper of Central Bucks High School South

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

The Mentor Center is Now Open

The Mentor Center is Now Open

Do you need help understanding the content in your math, science, history, or world language classes? The Mentor Center at South is here to help students.

The Mentor Center’s grand opening took place at the beginning of the second semester. Their mission, as said by founder and president, Beckam Polis, is to “assist students in mastering their ability to understand content across multiple subjects.”

The Mentor Center is located in the library; students have access to peer tutoring sessions each day of the week during Lunch and Learn. The center hopes to expand their appointment availability to after school as well in the near future.

Students can easily schedule appointments through WC Online. Flyers with QR codes to the Mentor Center scheduling page can be found around school, in the weekly newsletter sent out by Mr. Bucher, and on the daily Canvas announcements. Links to WC Online can also be found on the Library and NHS webpages on the CB South website.

The Mentor Center is a unification of both the Math mentor Center and NHS Tutoring Program. Beckam united these two programs so that students can access tutors for any subject matter they need help in. Ms. Gilbert and other Mentor center leaders have had to overcome challenges that come with navigating such a large-scale operation. “We have to modify and adapt as we find issues,” said Ms. Gilbert.

Although challenging, there have been some fun and memorable moments while creating the physical space for Mentor Center, one of which being Ms. Gilbert, “finding all of the literal skeletons in the closet” that Mr. Pecic left behind.

The Mentor Center was designed to be a cozy and welcoming environment for students who may be intimidated to approach their teachers with questions. Tutors specialize in subject matter they have previously studied; this allows them to “mold their teaching style based on their own experience in the class,” said Beckam.

The Mentor Center not only provides one on one study sessions, but it also offers small group study sessions with a tutor. The president also hopes to run AP Exam and final exam review sessions for students in the future.

Students that sign up for tutoring sessions also have the chance to win prizes like Dunkin Donuts gift cards by participating in monthly raffles. The Mentor Center wants to continue to have fun opportunities like these to build community within South.

The leadership of the Mentor Center hopes that the organization will become a central source of academic support at South, so, as said by the president, if you ever need help mastering content in your classes, “Our tutors are ready for you.”

You can make an appointment using this link. Follow the Mentor Center’s Instagram @cbsouth_mentorcenter for more information.