A Sophomore’s Guide to South Society

Calling all sophomores! It’s the start of a new year at a new school. A fresh start, a new page in the numerous chapters of life. While this school year may be unconventional at best, and deplorable at worst, we are fortunate enough to have teachers who have transitioned seamlessly between our hybrid and virtual modes. They are extremely flexible with assignments and are open to a quick chat in office hours. Their efforts have made this school year far exceed most expectations. 

In fact, the school has even continued its extracurricular activities. Clubs, sports, and music have begun with a bang, all abiding by social distancing and COVID-19 preventative policies of course. With America entering its eighth month of quarantine, isolation becomes increasingly difficult and extracurriculars help ease the tension with stimulating activity. It’s also a plus to be able to see friends daily, so every student should aim to participate in at least one extracurricular. It’s hard enough deciding what to do in a normal setting, and a virtual environment does not help matters. To give some insight into some organizations at South, here is a spotlight on some of the most prominent clubs. 

Interested in music? Part of the concert band? To further your musical intellect and make lifelong bonds consider joining the CB South Marching Titans Using masks and face shields, the marching band has excelled with its musical performance this year. For this year’s show, they are performing a jazzy, 1920s-esque theme entitled “The Jungle.” The marching band includes instruments from clarinet to tuba; everyone can find something to do. And it isn’t all instruments either: the color guard, the visual aficionados, are also an essential component of the band’s success.  Junior Allison Shin, a first-year member of the color guardsays the guard has been working very hard to perfect its technique.  

Color guard may not seem like a part of the band because they don’t play actual instruments,” she says, “but they are the heart of the show.” 

With its dazzling costumes and sparkling banners, the color guard takes the marching band to the next level. While it may be too late to join the marching band this year, be sure to catch one of its performances at a football game, the first of which was just a few weeks ago. 

But music is not all that South having to offer. For those who feel passionate about people, civil rights, and advancing equality, Titans for Inclusion and Equity is the perfect place to voice your opinions. Originally known as Diversity Club, the Titans for Inclusion and Equity, or TIE, focus on uplifting and equalizing to foster togetherness. A compelling aspect of membership is access to various leadership seminar such as the ADL Leadership Summit held in the library. For three days, Central Bucks students were educated on identifying and preventing implicit biases and negative stereotypes. Using the knowledge and training acquired from ADL, TIE spoke at faculty and school board meetings. The 2020-2021 school year has TIE looking to expand its presence, and COVID-19 will not suppress its momentum. In fact, this year’s edition of TIE has a new, multifaceted approachthree committees focused on three different outreach methods: social media, faculty, and community. 

As co-president Amy Liu puts it, by combating all types of prejudice, hatred, ad discrimination, the club “TIEs the school closer together.” To get involved, text 7kaak to 81010 to Remind ad stay tuned for more announcements. 

If advocating for social justice is a bit extreme for those of you who are soft-spoken, there are many other ways to serve the community at CB South. The recently begun Red Cross Youth Club is an excellent way to help the community while obtaining valuable service hours. The lifetime membership to the America Red Cross doesn’t hurt either.  

President ThanYalamanchi, a junior at Southsays that the Red Cross Club’s ability to “empower students with knowledge and life-saving skills” can help “prepare their school and community to respond to emergencies.”  

Her statement goes to show just how rewarding volunteering experiences can be. While the club hosts only three activities a yearattendance at meetings can contribute to volunteer hours, and involvement varies based on interest. In other words, you determine how much you want to participate.  If you are interested in a club that is low commitment but highly rewarding, then the Red Cross Youth Club is the right fit for you. Email c[email protected] to get involved. 

Continuing with the medical theme, up next is HOSA! Officially known as the Health Occupations Students of America, HOSA is a national club for students interested in pursuing health-related careers. The CB South Chapter of HOSA offers students opportunities for volunteering, fundraising, listening to guest speakers, and participating in the annual HOSA competition, the defining moment for most HOSA members. However, regardless of the competition’s advantages and appeal, it is not mandatory to compete to participate in the club. Much like Red Cross Club, involvement in HOSA is self-determined: the more interested and passionate a member is the, the more ways they can get involved in the club. A critical component of HoSA is fostering relationships with fellow Titans and interacting with upper and lowerclassmen.   

Competition officer Anushka Gattu talks about the bonds between fellow HOSA members, explaining that “it brings a whole group of people who have similar passions together and helps them work towards something even bigger.”  

HOSA’s registration deadline has unfortunately passed, but one of the wonderful aspects of being a sophomore is the limitless opportunity. There’s always another try, whether that be with another club or during another year. 

For those of you who can never put down a book, have trouble hearing people when you’re 200 pages into a thrilling mystery, or just want to branch out, the Light and Easy Book Club offers excellent opportunities to satisfy your reading quota with enjoyable yet effortless novels. Although it is the Light and Easy Book Club’s first year, the advisor, English teacher Mrs. Malick, is very excited for what is to come. The induction of a Book Club into South’s Society is relatively new, but if there is one thing that brings people together, it’s their love of reading. The Light and Easy Book Club meets on the first Wednesday of every month to discuss the book read over the course of the previous month. While it is still a fledgling group at South, the Book Club is there for people who constantly miss out on reading opportunities because of a hazy high school schedule. It’s low-frequency meetings make it an excellent candidate for a club to join. If interested, you can email [email protected] for more information and a link to the next meeting! 

After encountering this mind-boggling slew of clubs, it is normal to feel disoriented. But to find out where you fit in, think about how the which clubs align with your areas of interest. And, of course, if you decide that a club is not your calling after joining, you can always respectfully leave. Just remember that there is a place for everyone in South who wants one.