From CB South High School to our Most Popular Colleges

What do Bob Saget, Beaver Stadium, 225 clubs, Mike “The Situation,” and Bugs Bunny all have in common? They’re all things that have to do with the top college picks for CB South.

The top college for the CB South class of 2015 was Temple University. Temple is recognized as the largest public research university in Philadelphia, which makes it favorable to South students.

One of Temple’s most famous alumni is comedian and actor Bob Saget, who was a film student at Temple. Temple’s school colors are cherry and white, a twist on the traditional red and white. Their school mascot is an owl, which is also fairly unique compared to eagles or hawks which are a norm for other schools and teams.

Until last year, Penn State was the most popular pick for South students. It’s such a widely chosen school in part for its activities and school spirit. Penn State’s Beaver Stadium is the second largest stadium in the U.S following Michigan Stadium and the fourth largest stadium in the world.

Penn State also has 24 different campuses in total ranging from the main campus at University Park to Altoona to Hershey to Beaver and many more scattered across Pennsylvania. Penn State’s mascot is the Nittany Lion, which was chosen by the students in response to Princeton’s mascot, which is a tiger. Penn State is believed to have the first lion mascot. The Nittany was added because Penn State was located in Nittany Valley. PSU’s original school colors were pink and black, but students opted for a change to blue and white after the pink started to fade from exposure to the sun in all the outdoor events and games.

West Chester University is another popular Pennsylvanian school pick for students of CB South. West Chester is the fourth largest university in the Philadelphia region, and it has changed its name four times until its current name.

There are many opportunities to get involved at WCU, with its 225 student clubs and organizations on its campus. West Chester’s mascot is the golden ram, which is nicknamed Rammy. Their signature school colors are purple and gold.

The University of Pittsburgh or Pitt is yet another popular Pennsylvania school. Pitt’s school mascot is the panther, and their school colors are blue and gold. Some of their most popular majors are in finance and biomedical. Jeff Bergman, the voice actor of Bugs Bunny, is a Pitt alumnus who studied communications and theater at Pitt.

The most popular out-of-state college for the class of 2015 was Monmouth University, which is located in New Jersey. Mike “The Situation,” from the MTV show Jersey Shore, dropped out of Monmouth because of excessive partying. Although partying may be an important factor for some students while choosing schools, Monmouth has well-respected courses, specializing in business and biology. Monmouth’s mascot was originally the Nighthawk, which was later shortened to the Hawks. Their school colors are black and blue, which is shown on their school mascot.

Because of all of these schools’ unique factors, it may not seem like they have many similarities, except, of course, being favorites for the Central Bucks South class of 2015 and possibly, the class of 2016.