CB South Titans Ice Hockey Skating to States

Central Bucks High School South has a lot of competitive sports such as football, baseball, basketball, and soccer, but the most competitive sport by far is ice hockey.

The CB South ice hockey team is divided into varsity, junior varsity, girls, and middle school teams. However, the process of getting on the team is complicated. Tryouts are held for the middle school and girls’ hockey teams. For varsity and junior varsity ice hockey teams, it is more complicated because Coach Coyne, the head coach for the Titans since 2008, uses a process involving Coaches vs. Cancer.

Coaches vs. Cancer is a program that is a nationwide collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) that empowers basketball coaches, their teams, and local communities to make a difference in the fight against cancer.

Coach Coyne uses Coaches vs. Cancer as a preseason to see how the players work with each other and picks the team based upon the players’ performances.

The evaluation process is very different from other clubs. The coaches of the South ice hockey team evaluate players though a set of drills involving stick handling, passing and shooting, and some scrimmages.

Tyler Sheridan, a member of the CB South ice hockey team, said, “I think the evaluations process will result in us becoming a very competitive team.” However, even though the evaluations are tough, goalie Aaron King added, “An everyday Central Bucks South Titans practice is fun, and there are great drills.”

According to the Central Bucks South Hockey bylaws, “the general purpose of the Titans Ice Hockey is to organize, administer and promote youth ice hockey.”

The members of the ice hockey team are all passionate about ice hockey and have formed close bonds with one another. Sheridan said, “Central Bucks South Hockey Team is different than any other teams I played on because the kids here are all nice, and they want you to do well.”

The Titans Ice Hockey Team is part of a league called the Suburban High School Hockey League (SHSHL). In this league, the South plays CB East, CB West, North Penn, Pennridge, and both Council Rock North and South. However, there are other teams in the community that they play against, such as Father Judge, LaSalle, and Holy Ghost Prep.

Additionally, if the Titans participate in the Flyers Cup, a Pennsylvania high school hockey tournament, they will be able to play against even more teams.

Last year, South had an extremely successfully hockey season. The Titans took their chances and competed in the Flyers Cup and won for their division. They also ended up making history as the first ice hockey team in CB South history to win a state championship.

King said, “It felt good to make history as the first sophomore to win a state championship as a goalie.” Sheridan added, “It feels really good to be on a team who just won the State Championship.”

When asked about this upcoming season, Sheridan said, “I think the high school hockey teams that will be the hardest to beat this season are North Penn, Council Rock South, and Central Bucks East.” Even though he believes “the biggest challenge for this season…is to repeat States Champs,” Sheridan knows they “can do it because [they] have a good group of people.”