• Download Student News Source to view Titan Tribune from your phone!
  • Follow us on Instagram! @southtribune
The Online Student Newspaper of Central Bucks High School South

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Kansas City Chiefs Defeat San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII

David J. Phillip

The Kanas City Chiefs have defeated the San Fransico 49ers (22-25) in overtime, becoming the first team in two decades to win back-to back super bowls. Now, they have three rings and QB, Patrick Mahomes won his third Super Bowl MVP.  

The game proved a battle for both teams, going back and forth throughout. As the first quarter ended, both teams were stuck at 0-0. But as the second quarter rolled in, the 49ers achieved a 10-point lead against the Chiefs. Right before the second quarter ended, the Chiefs answered back as kicker Harrison Butker made a 28-yard field goal attempt. 

The score was 10-3.  

In the third quarter, there was not much action. With five minutes left in the quarter, the Chiefs made another field goal attempt. Under the two-minute mark, the Chiefs scored a touchdown. Mahomes threw a deep right complete pass in the end zone to WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling. With a score of 10-13, the end of the 3rd quarter saw the Chiefs take the lead by 3. 

It was the 4th quarter, the important quarter, that would determine who became the Super Bowl champions. The teams went back and forth: first, a touchdown by the 49ers, followed by a field goal attempt. Then, the Chiefs scored their own field goal, followed by another field goal from the 49ers. The score was 19-16, and it was the Chiefs’ ball with only three seconds remaining. The Kanas City Chiefs went for a 3-point field goal and made it.  

With a score of 19-19, the two teams were tied at the end of the game, causing the game to go into overtime.  

Minutes into overtime, kicker Jake Moody hit a 27-yard field goal to give the 49ers a 22-19 lead. But Kanas City’s Chiefs star QB Patrick Mahomes quickly struck back.  

Mahomes and his team drove their way down the field near the touchdown. With thirteen seconds left, Mahomes rolled out and connected with receiver Mecole Hardman for a 3-yard pass into the end-zone.  

Confetti flew into the stadium in Las Vegas. Fans, friends and families flooded the field. The Chiefs won, achieving their third Super Bowl win in the last five seasons.  

“Just know that the Kanas City Chiefs are never underdogs,” Mahomes said, according to CBS News.