• Download Student News Source to view Titan Tribune from your phone!
  • Follow us on Instagram! @southtribune
The Online Student Newspaper of Central Bucks High School South

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Book Review of Sorcery of Thorns

It has often been noted that the sign of a good author – indeed a brilliant one – can be seen in the way their words seem to leap off the page, the way they can breathe life into imaginative stories found only in daydreams, the way their books come to life in the hands of their readers. 

Margaret Rogerson takes this concept to the next level in her latest novel Sorcery of Thorns, where libraries provide the foundation for the fairytale-sque world of Austermeer and magical grimoires come to life in the form of inky monsters.

Channeling a combination of the nostalgic fantasy found in childhood classics like Harry Potter with a heart-warming whimsy reminiscent of Diana Wynn Jones’ book-turned-Hayao-Miyazaki-film Howl’s Moving Castle, Rogerson’s newest creation is bursting with magic and mystery, brought to life with beautifully written prose and complete with a cast of dynamic and loveable characters who truly make Sorcery of Thorns as compelling a read as it is. 

Sorcery of Thorns follows Elisabeth Scrivener, an orphaned girl raised in a library where she serves as an apprentice, learning to “both protect grimoires from the world and protect the world from them.” But when a particularly dangerous book of dark sorcery escapes, in the process of trying to defend the library and those she loves, Elisabeth becomes caught in a sabotage plot, unwelcome in the only home she has ever known. As she navigates this uprooting, Elisabeth meets the reclusive Nathaniel Thorn (and his demonic servant), a sorcerer, the very thing Elisabeth has sworn to hate. Elisabeth’s dilemma becomes more complex, however, as brewing schemes for chaos and world domination are revealed – ones that force her to question her own beliefs, threaten the remaining libraries and place the very future of the world into jeopardy. 

The plot itself is nothing Young Adult – otherwise known as YA – fantasy readers haven’t seen before: magic, sorcerers, and heroines with swords make many appearances within the genre, yet Rogerson restores a vivacity to distinctive YA tropes with her humorous and dynamic characters. 

There is a quiet fearlessness to Elisabeth that is refreshing to read. In a genre where the book-lover archetype is so often sidelined, Rogerson takes the opposite approach, questioning Elisabeth’s loyalty and forcing her to address her long-held prejudices against sorcery. Though frustratingly oblivious at times, Elisabeth proves herself more than capable of confronting each challenge, setting her on a masterfully written character arc that only makes her more likeable as a character.

As for Elisabeth’s mischievous and flirtatious ally/enemy, Nathaniel Thorn is the epitome of a YA love interest, a charming sorcerer (and Austermeer’s Most Eligible Bachelor) tormented by a tragic past. Whether it’s Thorn’s sudden nightmares of mysterious origin, the long-kept family secrets glimpsed in the dark hallways of his mansion or his tendency to joke that he “only turn[s] girls into salamanders on Tuesdays,” neither the reader nor Elisabeth can help but be intrigued. 

With such immersive world-building and captivating character dynamics, made all the more entertaining by their fangirl-worthy relationships, it’s not hard to see why Sorcery of Thorns, has received such praise. What few faults I do find with it – the occasionally rushed plot, the anticlimactic finale, and the two-dimensional villain, a sharp contrast to the other carefully crafted characters – are balanced by Rogerson’s awe-inspiring ability to capture the perfect blend of fantastical adventure, alluring romance, and imaginativeness. 

Yet, through Sorcery of Thorns, Rogerson also offers readers a greater gift: the chance to explore the story of “love…by a girl whose connection with books might prove powerful enough to save the world,” the chance to see themselves reflected in diverse characters, the chance to lose themselves between the pages of a captivating book – magical or not. Grade: A-

Author: Margaret Rogerson

Print length: 480 pages

Publisher: McElderry Books

Publication date: June 4, 2019

Genre: Fantasy fiction

Grade level: 9-12