South’s Pirates of Penzance: An Entertaining Musical Comedy

photo via Universal Pictures under the Creative Commons license

The Titan Thespians having been working hard, rehearsing and preparing for the upcoming CB South musical, The Pirates of Penzance.

This operetta, which is a show similar to an opera but includes spoken dialogue, is about a group of kindhearted pirates, one of whom falls in love with the daughter of a general.  Operettas often have a light and humorous theme rather than a more serious and dramatic theme, like an opera has.

Ms. Yetto, the adviser of the Titan Thespians, says, “This show is very funny and will make the audience laugh a lot.  The humorous side to the show should be appealing to students at South.”

Although there have been a number of days lost due to the inclement weather, the cast is still being productive and working hard staging scenes.

“I’m very excited about the performance nights,” Nick Byrne, a senior who is part of the cast of The Pirates of Penzance, said. “The cast, stage crew, tech crew, and pit orchestra have all been working hard and it’s been lots of fun.”

Mr. Kesilman, who, along with a group of students and parents, is painting the set design for Pirates, said, “We have worked two Saturdays from 9 AM until 4 PM so far. Coordinating set painting can be a good amount of work, but it is always worth it due to my set painting crew and the wonderful results we create.”

This is the third show at CB South for which Mr. Kesilman has done set design.  He said that one of the best parts of set design are “the creative, helpful and overall just awesome students that [he] get[s] to work with.”

Stage crew is also a huge part of the show.  Garrett Bullock explained that he does “run crew as part of the show.”  Run crew is a term used to describe the members who operate the technical aspects of the production.  “Other people work on light board, sound board, change lights, and run flies” as part of the behind-the-scenes team.

“I can’t give away any secrets about the show, but it will be a fun and interesting production,” said Ms. Yetto. She hopes everyone supports their peers and sees The Pirates of Penzance. 

There will be shows on March 28 and 29 at 7:30pm and another show on March 30 at 3:00pm. Tickets can be bought at the door. Tickets are twelve dollars for students and senior citizens, and all other tickets will cost fifteen dollars.