• Download Student News Source to view Titan Tribune from your phone!
  • Follow us on Instagram! @southtribune
The Online Student Newspaper of Central Bucks High School South

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Middle Bucks Institute of Technology: What is MBIT?

Middle Bucks Institute of Technology on Wednesday had their yearly National Honors Society Induction, honoring as many as 40 students this year. Dr Covell, the school principal commented, “this is the greatest number of students we have ever had at MBIT attending National Technical Honors Society.”

This is a large feat for Middle Bucks Institute of Technology and should encourage more students to explore it as a potential education pathway. The school offers a number of programs including Automotive Technology, Building Trades Occupations, Collision Repair Technology, Commercial and Advertising Design, Computerized Drafting and Engineering, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts and Science, Multimedia Technology and so much more. 

“Middle Bucks is a career technical education center; it’s content relates to different industries that is focused on kids different career generally in the trades,” says Multimedia Teacher Mr. Davey.

The school’s new CTE supervisor, Dr. Gale, said, “Middle Bucks is a great opportunity for students to practice relevant skills. It’s a great opportunity to dive into something that they’re passionate about, learn through someone who worked in the trade or the industry that they are interested in living in, and to be able to learn not only valuable skills but also an opportunity to get certifications.”

While MBIT offers help with starting a career it also “won’t hold your hand all the way. MBIT helps students with responsibility and hold them accountable, and set high standards that they have to meet, and they might need a little help getting there, but in the course of three years it helps them mature and become an independent learner,” teacher Mr. Davey says. “This’ll help students in managing their own time to learn.”

MBIT’s offerings also go farther than just one program. Dr Gale says, “students can take part in National Technical Honors Society, which is a great opportunity to be recognized with good character grades, the skills opportunities, the social competition opportunities, and student organizations like HOSTA for health occupations, CTCCs.” This can help give students more experience within the skills and future experience with their careers.

South counselor Ms. Barrett recommends Middle Bucks’ service to new and upcoming students. “I enjoy how many of the programs offer so many different certifications and allow students to make a portfolio so that they can continue their education. So the fact the students can go from MBIT to the working world is really great, or they can choose to go to college and get a college degree is amazing,” she said. 

MBIT has also shown to fuel the ambition of students not only at their home school but at MBIT. “I had a student that graduated in 2015 who went to MBIT for the horticulture program, and he ended up going to college for turf management,” Ms. Barrett commented. “Because of going to MBIT and being there half a day, he thrived at his school because he had a chance of spending school there and had time to spend it on a program that he loved.” 

Right now, Middle Bucks Institute of Technology seems to be on a good track and is something that future high school students should look out for if they want to get their feet wet in a career.