• Download Student News Source to view Titan Tribune from your phone!
  • Follow us on Instagram! @southtribune
The Online Student Newspaper of Central Bucks High School South

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

The Wrath of Screens

The Wrath of Screens

From month-old babies to high schoolers, screens play a huge role in shaping everyday lives. Maybe just a little too huge. Since the COVID 19 pandemic, learning has become almost completely dependent on technology. The elementary students that used to spend their time writing on paper now type on their computers. So what? The world is evolving, and maybe this is just a part of it. But it is time to consider the bigger impacts of introducing screens so early in the lives of children.

The children that used to interact while playing outside or having playdates now spend their time on screens. Social skills that used to be built from a young age are found lacking in children now due to their early on exposure to technology. Rather than talking face to face, even toddlers are now dependent on entertainment through tablets or televisions. This creates generations with insufficient language and communication skills.

The biggest problem of introducing kids to technology through education is that they are taught the importance of screens before they understand the consequences that come with them. Sure, technology has a profound impact on society, and, especially in this modern world, children must be exposed to them. However, when every part of a child’s day is surrounded by screens, from online school assignments to videos games during free time, they are not taught to find life outside of screens (which is important to creating balance).

This is not to say kids should not be allowed to use screens at school or during their free time. Rather, it is important to teach balance from the very beginning. Instead of basing all assignments on computers, it is important to ensure that screen time is just a part of a student’s school day. With the right combination of learning through technology and paper, elementary students can benefit from having computers.