• Download Student News Source to view Titan Tribune from your phone!
  • Follow us on Instagram! @southtribune
The Online Student Newspaper of Central Bucks High School South

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

2024 Grammy Nominees

The Recording Academy

On November 10th, the Recording Academy released the full list of nominations for the 66th Grammy Awards. The list celebrates recordings released between October 1, 2022 and September 15, 2023.

“From breakthrough acts to legacy artists, we are amazed by all the musicians recognized for their outstanding contributions to music today. We can’t wait to spotlight these remarkable creators and celebrate another amazing year in music on February 4,” Harvey Mason Jr., CEO of the Recording Academy, said in a statement.

Courtesy of her hit album SOS, SZA is this year’s leading nominee with a total of nine nominations including album of the year, record of the year, and song of the year. Other top nominees include Victoria Monét whose debut album Jaguar II received seven nominations as well as Olivia Rodrigo and Taylor Swift who each received six nominations. Miley Cyrus, boygenius, Billie Eilish, Jon Batiste and Brandy Clark were also nominated six times each.

Many of these artists will be competing in the coveted album of the year category — SZA (SOS), Swift (Midnights), Rodrigo (Guts), boygenius (The Record), Cyrus (Endless Summer Vacation), and Batiste (World Music Radio)— alongside others like Lana Del Rey (Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd) and Janelle Monáe (The Age of Pleasure).

The record of the year category includes SZA, Swift, Rodrigo, Monet, Cyrus, boygenius, and Batiste for the hits “Kill Bill,” “Anti-Hero,” “Vampire”, “On My Mama”, “Flowers,” “Not Strong Enough” and “Worship,” respectively. Billie Eilish has also been nominated for the category with her hit “What Was I Made For?” off the Barbie movie soundtrack.

Nominees for best new artist include sensations like Ice Spice and Fred Again as well as indie-pop singer-songwriter Gracie Abrams and folk-pop artist Noah Kahan. Notably absent from the list is Sabrina Carpenter who has recently gained popularity as a performer at the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards and an opening act for Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour. Her hits “Feather” and “Nonsense” from her album emails i can’t send also do not appear on this year’s list of nominations.

This year’s nominees highlight the dominance of women in the music industry, with Batiste as the only male artist to receive six or more nominations. Batiste is also the only male artist to be competing for the top categories, album of the year, song of the year, and record of the year, receiving three nominations of the twenty four slots.

Taylor Swift makes history with her hit “Anti-Hero,” becoming the first person to receive seven nominations in the song of the year category. She also has the potential to become the leader for album of the year wins should her album Midnights earn an award. She is currently tied with Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, and Paul Simon who each have three wins in the category. Additionally, Swift is tied with Barbara Streisand for most all-time nominations by a female artist.

Songs from the movie Barbie have received twelve nominations in total, eleven for the soundtrack album as a whole or specific songs and one for the Mark Ronson/Andrew Wyatt instrumental score.

In addition to record of the year, Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?” has been nominated for song of the year, pop solo performance, music video, and song written for visual media. Due Lipa’s “Dance the Night,” also received a nomination for song of the year. Capturing four of the five slots, the Barbie movie dominated the category of songs written for visual media. “What Was I made For?” and “Dance the Night” were joined by social media sensations “I’m Just Ken” and “Barbie World.”

The 2024 Grammys will include three new categories: Best Pop Dance Recording, Best African Music Performance and Best Alternative Jazz Album.

The Grammy awards ceremony will take place on Sunday February 4, 2024 at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, California at 8PM ET/5PM PT. It will be available for live broadcast on the CBS Television Network and will be streaming live and on-demand on Paramount+ from 8:00-11:30PM ET/5:00-8:30PM PT.

The full list of nominations can be found here.