• Download Student News Source to view Titan Tribune from your phone!
  • Follow us on Instagram! @southtribune
The Online Student Newspaper of Central Bucks High School South

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Titan Tribune

Legendary 76ers Announcer Marc Zumoff Visits CB South

NBA.com

Former 76ers announcer and Philadelphia sports legend Marc Zumoff paid a virtual visit to South during Lunch and Learn this past Wednesday to speak to students about future opportunities in the field of sports media. Since his 2021 retirement after twenty-seven years as the 76ers play-by-play announcer, Zumoff has been spending his days as the associate director of Temple University’s Claire Smith Center for Sports Media and hosting his podcast, Fresh 24 With Marc Zumoff.

The event kicked off with an introductory speech by twelfth-grader Nicholas Martin, a member of CB South’s media team. Martin acted as the student master of ceremonies for the visit. He gave the Philadelphia legend a worthy introduction, masterfully recounting Zumoff’s accolades to eagerly listening students before turning the floor over to the retired announcer.

Zumoff launched into a discussion about career opportunities in sports media and an in-depth explanation of how the parts of a broadcast fit together, from talent and announcers to lighting and editing. Broadcasting can’t be done alone, Zumoff pointed out. There wouldn’t be the final product we all know and love without the behind-the-scenes players that fit in along the way.

Finally, Martin steered the conversation to a question-and-answer session with Zumoff, where excited students asked questions ranging from predictions for the 76ers season to advice for making it in the field of sports media.

“Whatever you want to do, whether you want to be a doctor, or lawyer, or architect, or engineer,” Zumoff said, “you can do it if you have confidence in yourself and put your mind to it.”

The student body enthusiastically heeded advice from a man who had seen such incredible, self-made success. Starting as a lowly radio reporter at a small station in Trenton, Zumoff worked his way up through the field of broadcasting over the span of his forty-four-year career. By the time of his retirement, he was the main play-by-play commentator for the Philadelphia 76ers, as well as making occasional appearances with the Flyers and Union. Outside Philadelphia, Zumoff has called games for other professional teams and the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Zumoff is also the recipient of numerous honors in the field of sports media, including being a nineteen-time winner of the Mid-Atlantic region Emmy Award, a three-time winner of the National Sports Media Association’s Pennsylvania Sportscaster of the Year award, and a winner of the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters Gold Metal. He is enshrined in various halls of fame, including the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia Hall of Fame and the Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.

The visit was a terrific opportunity for anyone looking toward a career in sports media, or for Philadelphia sports fans who just wanted to enjoy themselves. It was kind of Zumoff to take part in the visit, and his words greatly impacted the students in attendance who had looked up to him for so long.

“It was an honor to be up there interviewing Marc,” said Martin in an interview. “I’m a Milwaukee fan, but even I can appreciate the extent of his legendary career. His legacy carries far beyond the city of Philadelphia.”