Swimming Scholers: Taking over C.B. South Lane by Lane

Sisters Heidi and Haley Scholer have been swimming for most of their lives and have now attacked the high school swimming world with speed that can only be compared to that of a killer whale. 

“We were taking swim lessons, it was three people and I remember our coach asking us the question ‘who is the king of the seas?’ and I answered, ‘killer whale,’” said Haley.  “The other two answered ‘shark’ and I actually ended up getting the question right.”   

This is Haley’s first memory of swim— this moment defines her swimming career so far at CB South.  

Haley, a sophomore who joined the swim team this past winter season, has blown everyone away with her speed and commitment.   

Haley is following in the footsteps of her older sister, Heidi.  

“This year was [Haley’s] first year on the high school team, so I kind of took it upon myself to show her how the team works and look out for her,” said Heidi. 

“I like having an older sister to base off,” said Haley. She said she appreciated having someone who has already experienced the team show her the ropes. 

Haley describes their relationship at swim as being “a good experience both ways”. As expected of siblings, they “have their times of [competition],” but they always support each other. 

“My earliest memory was of my first coach trying to teach me how to float on my back. He told me to imagine my favorite dessert on my stomach and that I had to keep it above water to keep it safe,” says Heidi. 

“I started swimming with lessons. Then had the opportunity to jump a few lesson levels at the YMCA and go right to swim team.” said Heidi.  

“I decided to give it a try and loved it!” said Heidi.  

Both Heidi and Haley have been swimming competitively for most of their childhoods and even started out swimming as babies.  

Heidi said that she even did “Mommy and Me classes” when she was only a year old.  That’s a lot of time spent in the pool 

Haley also added that  she has been swimming  competitively for eight years . Haley, being younger than Heidi, has been swimming for more than half of her life.  

Both sisters face the issue of the clock, in and out of the pool.  

Haley said, “I definitely feel overwhelmed [when missing school].”  

Haley also said, “I can work really well with my swim coaches because they are all math teachers…to get back into the flow [of schoolwork].” 

Heidi said she spends “roughly 16 hours a week, six days a week, two to three hours a day with morning practices.” 

Haley said she spends about 16 hours a week swimming as well.  

Currently, Heidi holds the team records for the 50-yard freestyle, as well as the 100-yard breaststroke.  

“I also was a part of the record breaking 200 Medley, 200 free, and 400 free relays,” said Heidi.  

Heidi’s records could not have been set without her long hours of practice and commitment to swim.  

Because practices end at 5:15, I don’t get as long of time to work on projects and homework, so I have to budget my time much more to fit it all in. Occasionally I do miss class time for swim, so I have to talk to my teachers to make sure I don’t fall behind. The coaches tell us at the beginning of every season we are student athletes, school comes first”, said Heidi.  

Heidi also said, “Swimming definitely pushes me to excel in my academics, so I don’t jeopardize any opportunities for myself or my team.” 

Haley also said being a student athlete is “hard, because I don’t have a lot of time to study… I really pay attention during class.” She typically gets five to six hours of sleep a night, then wakes up for morning practice.  

“I usually get up around the same time anyways,” said Haley “It’s fun to see everyone in the morning”.  

Haley explained how the people that go to the morning practices grow close and it makes it all more bearable.  

Heidi also touched on the team aspect: “We really motivate each other through these hard practices, which makes them fun and easier to get through.” 

All the hard work that Heidi, Haley, and the rest of the girl’s swim team has put in paid off.  Haley said that the swimmers  from CB South “all placed” at this year’s States meet, which included herself. Haley’s 200-yard medley relay placed in the top 12.  

With all their success in swimming, the Scholer sisters have started to look towards the future and their futures in swimming. 

Heidi said, “Currently, I’m looking into both club swimming in college and swimming for the school team. I’m weighing my options and have not decided on either yet, but swimming will continue to be a part of my life one way or another.” 

“I definitely want to swim in college,” said Haley, “I cannot imagine my life without swimming”. 

CB South will be very sad to see the last of the duo next winter season in 2019-2020, when Heidi will be a senior and Haley will be a junior. The Scholer sisters have big ambitions for the future, and we wish them the best of luck in the future!