Running for a Cause

Many people at Central Bucks South have heard of the Sweet Caroline 5K. Now the 5K has a new name, Run for the Heart, in memory of South students Caroline Gallagher and Steve Grabowski.

Caroline passed away as a sophomore in 2012, and to memorialize the fact that she always had a smile on her face and a song in her heart, her graduating class created the Sweet Caroline 5K.

Steve was a senior when he passed away last year. “[Steve was] an all-around great guy. Everyone loved to be around him. He was friends with everyone no matter who they were,” said Tyler Williams, one of Steve’s friends since kindergarten.

To honor Steve along with Caroline, this year the name of the race has been changed.

Run for the Heart will be held November 1, starting at the CB South Track at 9:00am. There will be awards for the overall male and female winners and for top finishers in different age categories.

The race is for any age group and for anyone who is interested in raising money for a good cause. All money raised goes to Children’s Hospital of Pennsylvania (CHOP) to raise awareness for cardiac disease.

There are many ways to get involved; participants can register for the one mile fun walk/run or the 5K. Register for $20 on the website before October 31, 2015 at 11:59p.m., or register at the race for $25. Even if you don’t want to run or walk, you can still donate on the website.

Many students volunteer, helping set up and clean up, handling the t-shirts, and handing out water and snacks to the participants after they finish the race. Students also help find sponsors from local shops and stores.

In the past, there have been close to 250 runners, and the race was able to raise and donate close to ten thousand dollars. “The race is more of a fun competition, though there are always some faster runners,” Mrs. Mattern, a CB South teacher who is involved in the race, said, “[What is important] is to raise money and donate to CHOP in honor of Caroline and Steve.”

Mrs. Mattern, who helped students in past years with the Sweet Caroline 5K, said that her favorite part of the day is watching the participants cross the finish line. And although the families of Caroline and Steve may not participate in the race, they show up and support the runners while there.

Mr. Walsh, a CB South teacher who has been involved and attended many races, said the most memorable moment was the year that “Dr. Davidheiser had to work the shoot.” Last year’s winner was Ian Cox, Mr. Cox’s son.

Visit https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/Warrington/ARunfortheHeart to register for the race, or to donate.